Friday, March 27, 2009

Weaning?

John appeared nearly done with nursing by Christmas 2009 (at 18 months), showing interest less than once a day and only for about 5 minutes at a time. Then, Jeremy gave me a 4-day-trip for a Christmas present. Somehow, John knew, and began nursing again, with a vengeance. In the week leading up to my trip (at the end of March, when John was 21 months), John nursed multiple times a day, up to a half-hour at a time. Yes, he was sick, with an ear infection, fever, and possibly a virus also. But this still seemed timed as if he knew what I was up to in leaving town.

Jeremy reported that John was just fine for the 4 days I was gone. He would ask for me when he woke up, and look around a bit, but then got on with his day just fine. So, I thought he might be done when I got back, and he was over his illnesses. I arrived home late at night, after all the kids were asleep. The next morning, John saw me and asked to be picked up. He was acting groggy and cuddly, as is normal for him when he has been awoken by the household noise before he is really ready.

John asked for his "sa-sa" (pacifier), which I couldn't immediately find. After two or three requests, I decided to delicately test the water. I whispered in his ear, "Do you want some milk?" I got no response. A moment later, he repeated, "I want sa-sa."

"So," I thought, with mixed feelings, "he really is done nursing." I held him a while longer as I helped James and Maggie get ready for school. It was a good 5-10 minutes later, when his quiet little voice said, "I want milk." I wanted to be sure I had heard him correctly, so I asked, "Do you want your pacifer?" He looked at me with a stunned face, then did something I have never seen from him before. He put his fist in the air, and pumped his arm, in the style of "Rah, team, fight!" from the MSU fight song. While making this new gesture, he shouted at the top of his voice, "I WANT MILK!"

Well, I guess he just needed a few minutes to warm up to the idea. Since then, he has been back to 20 minute daily nursing!

No comments:

Post a Comment