Sunday, November 22, 2009

How much is five?

John is excited about the number five right now. When I served him a slice of zucchini bread, he protested. "I want FIVE zucchini bread." I cut his slice into five pieces and he ate it contentedley. Okay, so we have some volume concepts to work on.

But, he does realize, apparently that five doesn't work for everything. He, like the bigger kids, occasionally likes to eat frozen corn (right from the freezer bag to the bowl - go figure!). Tonight, after downing TWO bowls of frozen corn for dinner, he asked for more. Picturing the future diaper consequences of this, I tried to talk him into something different.

"No, I want more corn!"

"Well, okay John, how much corn do you think you want?"

(Long pause with a thoughtful look on his face, then...) "I want FIV..." Pause and a slight look of concern on his face. Is he realizing that "five corn" is not enough? Then, I could almost see the relief wash over his face. He continued confidently, "I want BIG MUCH!"

Whew! A close call, but another number value crisis solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment