Saturday, December 18, 2010

Never say die

John's energy level tonight after dinner was even higher than usual. As the rest of us finished eating, he ran 10-yard dashes back and forth across the kitchen. When that got boring, he switched to handstands. He can't stay up for long, but he is persistent. He jumps off both feet simultaneously and flips onto his hands for a moment, before springing back onto his feet. And repeat.

After a few minutes (and several dozen flips), during which I was genuinely impressed with his balance development, Jeremy interrupted him.

"John, if you are going to do that, then go into the living room where there is carpet, and where you are away from the stairs."

Surprisingly, John obeyed immediately. On his first attempt over carpet, he fell and crashed into furniture. I tried to assess his level of injury from his crying - not too serious, but real. I suggested that he stop jumping now.

He came towards me, whimpering, looking like he might seek comfort. Just before he got to me he stopped, seemed to shake himself off, then turned back to the living room and announced bravely, "I don't need a kiss. I can do that again."

1 comment:

  1. It might be worth recording what he meant by "I can do that again."

    Was it closer to "That hurt, but I won't give up; I'll try the trick again." or "Whoa! That hurt! But I'm tough. I bet I'm so tough I could bash my head like that *again*..."

    ReplyDelete