Friday, June 17, 2011

Fashion and the professoriate

Few people would identify college professors as icons of fashion excellence. Still, I found my recent wardrobe experience a bit eerie.

First, a bit of background. When I arrived at my job 12 years ago, I got to know another newly starting female professor. Laura was a few years older, having returned to academia from a different career. She shared with me some only slightly tongue-in-cheek advice she had gleaned from a book on women in academia, about dress codes for survival. She told me that pre-tenure, only two styles of dress would be acceptable for women faculty: ethnic (if applicable) or dowdy. Post-tenure, one could add in "no-nonsense business." Anything else could invite career trouble. I snickered a bit at the suggestion, but since my immediate post-grad-school wardrobe fit the "dowdy" with little effort, I thought little of it. Over time, I have wanted to "grow up" my clothes a bit, but this advice has always plagued me a bit. This makes shopping for work clothes a bit daunting. I am so happy to have my husband as a willing participant in the process, now. I know, one engineer relying on another for fashion consultation is not necessarily a good thing.

A few weeks ago, for my birthday, Jeremy took me shopping. We both remarked about how unimpressive this year's styles are. After much searching for a new dress, we gave up. Instead, I came home with 3 new summer-weight tops to wear to work.

The next week, I went back for my first real stretch of "work" since Helen was born. (I have been in for meetings, but this was a five-day workshop, requiring work attire for the whole week.) I was happy to have a reason to wear my new things, anyway. The workshop included 6 female and 6 male faculty from my institution. I selected new work blouse number one on Monday, and noticed right off the bat that another woman was wearing MY new work blouse number two. Thank goodness I hadn't chosen that one.

Since number two was a fairly distinctive bright raspberry color, I held off on wearing it on Tuesday, also. I work new work blouse number three. Another close call. A different woman was wearing MY new work blouse number two, this time at least in an alternative blue shade. Still, the blouse was a pretty distinctive design, in any color.

I waited until Thursday before I finally braved wearing my my own new blouse number two. No more sightings, thankfully, so I could enjoy it.

So, three out of six faculty women prefer this particular blouse (lacy 3/4 sleeve button-up blouse over solid knit tank top, in various bright colors), available recently on the sale rack at Younkers for $12.99. Does this mean: (a) professors all shop at Younkers and rarely make it past the sale rack prominently displayed along the aisle, (b) professors uniformly prefer soemwhat dowdy, machine-washable, pseudo-professional wear, (c) professors are cheap, (d) the fashion industry fails to produce clothing choices wearable by any real woman over the age of 30, (e) all of the above?

No comments:

Post a Comment