Thursday, June 2, 2011

Learning to talk the talk

I love it when kids are trying to assimilate new words and phrases into their own vernacular. John seems to be at a prime age for doing that.

We had a few extra kids around at bedtime tonight due to an emergency for a family friend. I was reading a bedtime story to four over-tired and wound-up kids. Tired of reading over the pounding noises of the nerf sword on the bedrails, I admonished the 5-year-old guest to please cease and desist. "That is too distracting when I am reading."

Very soon after, John admonished me. "Mom, that is too distracting to my yawns." Not even sure what I had heard, I was startled into silence, staring at him while I tried to figure out what he meant. Fortunately, he clarified for me by continuing, "Can you please stop reading?"  John promptly held up a hand at me, as if to indicate "wait," and used the other hand to cover an enormous yawn. Once complete, he lowered both hands, turned to me, and said (matter-of-factly) "You can read now."

No comments:

Post a Comment